Sunday, November 13, 2011

Home Made Simmering Potpourri Recipe


I have been looking for recipes to make my own simmering potpourri and decided to take from a few different ones and make my own.  This turned out so good, my house has smelled wonderful all weekend.

(These are the amounts i used for a small pot, adjust the amounts for larger pots)

1 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp ground nutmeg
1-2 Tsp whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks (broken into smaller pieces)
5-6 slices orange
5-6 slices lemon
2 cups water (more will need to be added as it simmers)

Put all ingredients in a small pot and let simmer for as long as you like.  Keep an eye on on the water level, it will start to go down after a long period of time.  I put mine on medium heat just to get it hot and then I let it simmer on lowest setting for about 2-3 hours and then turned it off. It still kept giving off an aroma while cooling off. I left mine on the stove over night and simmered it again the next morning and it still had just as nice of a scent the next day.  This is the perfect blend of scents for the holidays.  You can also change up the ingredients or amounts to your own liking. My entire house smelled wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment